Today I started dry stacking the last concrete blocks for a 6 foot square raised bed. I finished row one and checked it for size. I have enough block for a second row, but not the third row I want. Back to the market economy for another 14 concrete blocks.
I have drawn a plan of this area, which is the southern side of my courtyard and is paved in concrete in an L shaped pattern. It joins my current back patio to the storage building and a second structure that I thought I would have to remove to have room for construction. It encompasses two gardens, one where I planted a red maple and the other with a pinyon-plum tree guild.
The building is triangular and the long side is attached to the carport. The carport still needs to be removed, but the odd little building does not. It is full of junk left by the former owner and I took a break from moving block to look it over. It was warm inside! I first considered moving the chickens in because it is warmer, then realized they have windows across their building and like to perch up there and look outside. They also have more indoor running room since the house is bigger. Their situation isn’t broken, I won’t fix it.
The roof of the triangle building is half translucent panels and half corrugated metal. It is effectively a sturdy greenhouse. The south wall is 2×12 up to 5 feet, then has translucent panels to the roof. The west side is part metal roofing and part strand board. Ugly stuff! The back is siding.
Just the word “greenhouse” starts instant greenhouse fantasies. Season extender. A place to winter over tender plants. A warm place to start seeds. A potting bench. A worm bed. A place to grow mushrooms. And so it goes.
In my overhaul I will take down more 2×12 fencing, which will give me enough wood to replace the west wall with weathered 2×12. I thought I might buy more translucent panels to match the south side, but the prior owner left a pile of windows, so I might install a window on the west side. To be determined.
I think I can make a funky triangular greenhouse out of this little building. The east side faces the proposed underground house, and is the longest side of the building. I want a trellis for growing hardy kiwi against that east wall. I believe the carport will yield enough used 4×4 and 2×4 to make a sturdy trellis.
We are supposed to have a heavy snowstorm come in late tomorrow. It is raining now, although not forecasted. In the morning I will put my thermometer in the building to check temperatures this winter
I need to remove the carport before starting to build, and started removing the debris inside a few days ago. Silly me, when the prior owners offered to haul everything to the dump, I told them not to bother! I know I can recycle some of these items, and will haul away what I cannot. That was the thought, anyway.
I see a wabi sabi greenhouse in my future. I am feeling gleeful at the moment… let’s see how long that lasts through the drudgery of emptying these two spaces out, partial tear down, and reconstruction. Most of which will not get started until spring. I am shameless about adding chores to my already endless list!